Brainstorm.

 

For my first idea for a possible storybook, I was thinking about doing Dionysus and a girl gang. There was a ritual in ancient Greece and Rome known as the Dionysian Mysteries (link); these were attended by the marginalized individuals in society. My idea of a girl gang comes primarily from Euripides' The Bacchae (link), which is an ancient Greek tragedy about King Pentheus of Thebes and his mother Agave. In short, the women, specifically Agave, tear Pentheus apart unknowingly while they were in a trance doing a ritual. I like this idea because I enjoy Greek Mythology, along with having studied it in multiple classes. Essentially, the stories I would tell would use Dionysus as a guide, and his retelling of his most adventurous experiences until eventually ending up at the Bacchae. This would be the crossroads, so to speak, where the reader would choose whether they wanted to be a leader of a girl gang in his name, or if they would like to return to their own world.

The second idea I have also is a Greek Mythology retelling, though I might add other mythological stories depending on how much source material I have. But, the idea I have is a first hand experience with love in the mythological world. In other words, my stories would be retelling's of tragic tales like Cupid and Psyche (link), Orpheus and Eurydice (link), and even Hades and Persephone. The reader would take the role as Psyche, Orpheus and Hades and witness these romances and their tragedies first hand. It's debatable, but I might create a disembodied narrator that follows along with the reader, and is like "see what love does to you!" type of thing. There's not much else I can learn from these stories, as I practically know them by heart, but I wouldn't mind writing them from the perspective of the lover that has to go seek them. It's something new when you can read it from that perspective, so I'm definitely leaning more towards this idea because of that.

The third idea I had centers around multiple mythologies of the Gods of the Underworld/Death. For this idea, essentially these multiple death Gods would explain how they received their positions; simply put, they would give the reader a "lesson 1: How to become a Death God or Ruler of the Underworld" tour. For the Gods, I plan to use Hades (link), Osiris (link), Shinigami (link), etc. It's going to be a weird combination of a death God who actually takes the souls of the deceased, and the God of the Underworld who judges said souls since there is multitudes of these Gods. So, not only will I learn more about death Gods, but the reader will be guided on a tour and offered the opportunity to become one when they pass away. Think of it as being given a tour of a potential job offer.

My final idea involves Ares (link) and "how to disappoint your father in 4 easy steps" type of story. This idea revolves around multiple stories Ares is in ranging from his affair with Aphrodite to his involvement in the battle of Troy. For this, Ares would be the reader's tour guide and would regal them with his many exploits throughout his life, and how they've undoubtedly disappointed his father, Zeus. That's pretty much the essence of the idea! Personally, I don't know all too much about Ares but from these basic stories, so it will give me the opportunity to learn more about him. Not to mention, I can give a twist on these stories and show them from Ares perspective as the god of War.

Comments

Popular Posts