Feedback Thoughts.

 

Don't echo negative thoughts inside your head (Cheezburger)
The articles I decided to read were "Why rejection hurts so much - and what to do about it" and "Why It's So Hard to Hear Negative Feedback." Both of the articles were extremely insightful into why receiving negative feedback, or any type of rejection, leads to self-defensive mechanisms kicking in. Naturally, the advice the articles offer is awesome, since that's the whole point of the read; however, I liked that the articles made it clear that everyone experiences these moments, and that they're not something special only certain people experience. Personally, I believe that feedback is essential to learn and to understand where to better one's self. The issue as I see it is that sometimes people say they're giving feedback when in reality their "feedback" is nasty, for lack of a better word. Feedback is essential, that goes without saying, but what the articles offered I believe needs to be instated; in other words, while one should try to see this feedback as a means of helping them, the one who is giving the feedback should not sugar coat, but likewise not use that as a free for all to be negative. The goal is for both parties to grow; one learns to take feedback as a means of improvement, while the other learns how to give this feedback that will help this improvement along.
I like my feedback to be upfront, even if it does, admittedly, hurt my feelings if my content is not perfect. But, it does help me avoid repeating the same mistakes, which I am thankful for. However, I would say that in my experience as a student, I would appreciate more detailed feedback. Not to say that the feedback I have received wasn't detailed, but I struggle if things are not clearly and elaborately laid out. Examples are even welcome, and much appreciated because it makes it easier for me to understand. So, overall, I think feedback helps, but it has to be done in a manner that will actually improve what needs improvement.

Comments

Popular Posts