Storybook Favorites.
One of the first storybook's that I found, and immediately enjoyed, is called Adventures in the Underworld. As the title alludes to, the stories focus on different aspects or adventures of Hades; the different adventures cover Hades' origins, the abduction of Persephone and the Judges of the dead. I've always thoroughly enjoyed Greek Mythology because of the plethora of stories that have been created, and the fact that most of the myths are weird, to put it plainly. I really enjoy reading about Hades because of how different he is from the other Gods, so when venturing into this storybook I was already familiar with most of the information that was provided. That said, I liked the format of how the storybook was set up because the author not only told the various stories, but they formatted it so readers could participate with it like it was a "choose your path" type of book. It wasn't something that I was expecting when reading, I definitely only expected the stories and interactions to be tweaked to fit the author's writing style. So, seeing this adventure book-esque style of interaction really made it all that more fun to interact with.
The second story that caught my eye is called Waffle House: Creating Magic in Ancient Egypt. All I had to see was the title and I knew that it was going to be something out of the ordinary, and I wasn't disappointed in the least. I'm not that familiar with Ancient Egyptian mythology, so this storybook offered up a very unique glimpse into the origin of the dead being resurrected, curses and the Gods' powers over animals. This storybook naturally focused on its originality and amalgamation of mythological stories, and it allowed the author's personality and writing style to come through. What I thoroughly enjoyed were the pictures that were used in the storybook. As someone who also makes random, weird picture mashups on photoshop, seeing the photoshopped Ra in a Waffle House was not expected in the least, but I was thoroughly entertained that it was created in the first place. Overall, one gets to read a unique approach to Ancient Egyptian mythological stories, but also gets to enjoy the sight of Ra, a literal God, in a Waffle House.
The final story that caught my eye is called Welcome to Hell. Of course, all I had to see was the title and knew that this was going to be an interesting storybook. I've never read Dante's Inferno, so this interpretation of Hell and the author using Virgil's designation of Hell as a state of mind versus a physical place was interesting to explore. Most times when people speak of Hell, they are referring to a place that people can end up in when they die. However, Hell being a state of mind puts things in a completely new playing field. What I believed was smart on the part of the author was tweaking the story to be a more modern adaptation, thus allowing the readers to actually put the story in a perspective they can actually see today. Not only that, the author does a great job of demonstrating the states of mind each sin has. For me, that's what tied it all together because I was able to see the emotions and states of being the author wanted their audience to be in to truly understand Hell. I didn't know what I was getting into reading this storybook, but I enjoyed it!





Comments
Post a Comment