Storybook Plan.

 

Baccus and Ariadne by Titian: Dionysus discovers Ariadne on the shore of Naxos. The painting also depicts the constellation named after Ariadne.
So, I decided that I'm going to go with a storybook and write it as an anthology series that focuses on the tragic love stories of the following couples:

Psyche and Cupid:
  • The original myth is also from Psyche's perspective, but I enjoy her as a character and her struggle, so I plan on sticking to that. It's still to be decided, but I'm thinking of emphasizing Cupid's departure from being a mama's boy, for lack of a better phrase, and actually taking care of and being with his wife. However, along with this, I plan on adding more dread and heartbreak to Psyche's trials since I felt that the original was very quick in telling the story, so there wasn't enough time to really emphasize the things she was going through.
Ariadne and Dionysus:
  • The original myth of Ariadne focuses on her brief relationship with Theseus, and then the appearance of Dionysus. So, this story will entirely focus on Ariadne's perspective, and how she comes to find love. Of all the stories, this one will probably be the mildest and the sweetest, while also being a self discovery type. 
Hades and Persephone:
  • Since this myth starts out extremely wild, I want to continue with it and follow Persephone's perspective throughout it. In other words, this story would probably be more mild in content, but it would follow Persephone's fear of initially being separated from her mother, to finally coming to terms with herself and living like an adult. Like the Ariadne myth, it will have a self discovery type of feel.
Orpheus and Eurydice:
  • Of all the myths, this one is going to be the most tragic like its source material. That said, this myth will offer a wonderful first person/third person view, along with how I plan on ending it. It has the potential for a happy ending, but I'll probably keep the original ending, but the story will follow along with his struggle, and eventual end.
Though some of the characters mentioned do, technically, meet each other in various myths, my goal is to keep the stories separate, but still show the variety of tragedies that can occur. That said, I plan on writing the storybook like a "choose your adventure" type where you decide what story, and what perspective you want to take. I might include a narrator who walks along with the particular character in the stories, and kind of has a running commentary along the lines of "which tragedy would you choose to be in." 
I haven't decided on what the take away message is supposed to be; I really just want to write my versions of these myths, and show the happy and bad endings.

Comments

Popular Posts